Learn About The New Charter School
Chester Charter School for the Arts
The Chester Charter School for the Arts (CCSA) is dedicated to improving the Chester community through high academic achievement and artistic excellence.
Dr. John Alston’s love and knowledge of children is a driving force behind the creation of a charter school where academics and the arts will inspire minds and enrich souls. John has been working in the city of Chester for over 18 years. He built and leads an outstanding, locally renowned chorus of 140 children who sing a challenging and sophisticated repertoire to cheering audiences.
In 2008, Dr. Alston and The Chester Fund formed a partnership with the Chester Upland School District to create the Chester Upland School of the Arts (CUSA). CUSA made significant progress during the past four years but reached its limits in terms of what can be accomplished by a regular public school. For this reason, Dr. Alston and The Chester Fund concluded their partnership agreement with the Chester-Upland School District to support CUSA at the end of the 2011-12 school year.
With the creation of the Chester Charter School for the Arts (CCSA), The Chester Fund provides students with stability and offers the school leadership the opportunity to build upon previous successes and improve from one year to the next.
The Chester Charter School for the Arts has the autonomy to hire and retain excellent school staff whose members have the knowledge, empathy, and motivation to teach within the school’s culture of high expectations and arts integration.
Chester Charter School for the Arts: Key Highlights and Facts
- Location: 200 Commerce Drive in Chester Township
- Opened September 2012
- Currently serving grades K-7, will grow one grade per year to Grade 12
- Teaching Assistants for each grade, Kindergarten through 7th
- Excellent academic program using GO Math! and StoryTown for literacy
- Arts exposure for all grades: music, dance, drama, and visual arts
- Music includes both choral and instrumental
- Computer literacy for all students
- Spanish and physical education
- Extended Day program for Grades 3 and above